Get Your Career Started, With A Certificate 3 in Fitness – SIS30315 (Brisbane)
At The College Of Health & Fitness, we offer a Cert 3 in fitness course that gives you the skills and knowledge, through both theory and practical lessons, that you need to start your career in the fitness industry.
It’s an incredibly popular course, which is both classroom based as well as online giving our face to face students hands-on training with state-of-the-art equipment in real gym environments.
Certificate 3 In Fitness: Contents
Certificate 3 Summary – At A Glance
The Certificate III in Fitness has a ‘nominal’ duration of 12 months, but you can study at your own pace. Most students complete the course more quickly.
You can enhance your fitness career prospects by adding professional development courses in Boxing or Pelleres or even Marketing to help you stand out from the crowd. The Certificate III in Fitness is the minimum you’ll need but for your career to progress you’ll need to add the Certificate IV in Fitness.
What are the job prospects like?
- Gym Instructor: Our Certificate III in Fitness includes the Gym specialisation which will teach you how to instruct and support specific clients to practice different forms of exercise in a safe and effective way and to improve their fitness and health. Among other things you will learn about human anatomy, healthy eating, conducting fitness assessments and how to administer First Aid. You will be able to specialise as a gym instructor in a variety of gym or fitness centre settings
If you are interested in Group Exercise or Aqua, you can add that as a specialisation to your course (additional costs may apply).
- Group Exercise Instructor: Specialising in Group Exercise Instruction will give you the skills to deliver group exercise sessions and approved community fitness programs. This means you’ll be able to plan these sessions for specific populations.
- Aqua Exercise Instructor: This speciality is all about group water-based exercise sessions and activities. You’ll learn how to perform basic water rescues, and instruct in a number of areas, including water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility skills, water-based fitness activities and aquatic sessions for specific groups of people.
What do you receive at the end of the course?
Upon completion of our course, you will receive a SIS30315 Certificate III in Fitness – which is a nationally recognised qualification and the gateway to your fitness career.
With our Certificate III in Fitness course, you’ll complete theory and practical assessment to prove you’re capable of working in a fitness environment with clients. A lot of your training takes place in practical settings. This comes in the form of work placements in gyms and practical training in fitness facilities. We find this beneficial as it puts you right in the thick of the action and gets you used to the environment you’ll be working in. Therefore, the adjustment is easier for you, and you’ve also got more practical experience to help during job interviews!
Alongside this, you’ll also submit theory assessment online, meaning you can complete it as fast or slowly as you like. So, if you want to gain a Certificate 3 in Fitness but you have other work commitments, this helps you manage the workload in a way that’s easier for you to handle. The theory assessment tests your knowledge and understanding with most of the information included in the textbook we provide to you.
The practical training and assessment will require you to work with ‘clients’, who may be your classmates as you physically conduct health screening, guide proper exercise performance and undertake health and safety assessments. You’ll be given multiple tasks to complete based around real-world situations that could happen in a fitness facility. Students studying online may be required to film themselves doing these tasks for their assessments as evidence that they can handle them competently.
How long is the course?
What do you learn on this course?
You will learn a multitude of different things that are essential for anyone seeking employment in the fitness industry. During both the practical and theory training, you’ll be taught skills for giving correct program instructions to clients, how to perform certain exercises, how to remain safe in the gym, how to provide healthy eating advice, and more.
The aim is to ensure that you complete this course with the skills you’ll need to commence employment in the fitness industry as a Gym Instructor.
How are assessments carried out?
Assessments for this course are carried out by written assessment, short answer and paragraph, verbal assessment and through practical tasks. The theory assessments are submitted online, while the practical assessments are carried out in our classroom or in a commercial gym. Ideally, we will assess your practical knowledge in person, however if this is not possible you may record the assessment and forward to us.
What are the competency units?
The Certificate III in Fitness (SIS30315) is comprised of 16 units in total. These are split into 9 core units and 7 elective units. You need to be assessed competent in all 16 units to complete the course.
The units are:
- SISFFIT001 – Provide health screening and fitness orientation
- SISFFIT002 – Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific populations
- SISFFIT003 – Instruct fitness programs
- SISFFIT004 – Incorporate anatomy and physiology principles into fitness programming delivery
- SISFFIT005 – Provide healthy eating information
- SISFFIT0014 – Instruct exercise to older clients
- SISXCCS001 – Provide quality service
- SISXFAC001 – Maintain equipment for activities
- SISXIND001 – Work effectively in sport, fitness and recreation environments
- BSBRSK401 – Identify risk and apply risk management processes
- HLTAID003 – Provide first aid*
- HLTWHS001 – Participate in workplace health and safety
- SISFFIT006 – Conduct fitness appraisals
- SISXCAI006 – Facilitate groups
- SISFFIT011 – Instruct approved community fitness programs
- BSBCMM201 – Communicate in the workplace
* This unit is delivered in partnership and under the auspice of Allens Training Pty Ltd RTO #90909
Student Requirements (what you need to know)
There is no minimum educational standard required for entry to this course, however you will be required to complete a literacy and numeracy assessment before commencement.
The course does include concepts and assessments that may be challenging, and students will be required to research broadly using online resources. Access to a computer and the internet will be required.
Students are also required to find a suitable workplace(s) to complete their work placement and have their Log Book signed off. We will assist students to do this.
Course Fees & Payment Options
If you register your interest with us today, we will contact you with full information on our course fees. Our college is committed to providing affordable training and education for all students in Brisbane. We provide you with a total cost for your course, there are no hidden fees or charges. We also offer payment options if you are unable to pay for your course up front.
No matter what, our team will talk to you and figure out the best way for you to pay for this course. Then, you can enroll today and start your fitness journey.
How to Apply
If you want to gain a nationally recognised Fitness qualification, apply today by registering your interest on our website. Click the button below, and you’ll be taken to a page where you need to fill in a few contact details and send us a message. Then, you sit back and wait for us to get back to you.
Places in face to face courses fill quickly, so if this is how you’d prefer to study call us today to ensure you have the best chance!